Day 2 : Honoring BlackOut Tuesday

Good morning! 

Thanks for joining us on this challenge.  We are so excited by the huge response and look forward to doing this work together.  Recap: Do one actively anti-racist thing everyday for 30 days.  We will post what we are doing, feel free to do the same thing or find something that better suits you.  We would love to be dialogue: let’s share ideas, resources and support.  


Peace,

Camerin and Beth


Day 2: 

Today we are participating in Blackout Tuesday.  #blackouttuesday #theshowmustbepaused was an initiative started by two black women in the music industry: Jamila Thomas and Brianna Agyemany.  You may have already noticed your social media feeds covered in black boxes.  The idea is to take a break from music, dance and social media to honor the contributions of black music and dance artists to American culture. 


How to participate: 

  • Post the black box (three versions attached).  Use the hashtags #blackouttuesday, #theshowmustbestopped, we also used #thisiswhatlovelookslike and #blacklivesmatter.  You don’t have to do this to participate in Blackout Tuesday but it’s a great way to outwardly show your support. 

  • Avoid buying or streaming music or dance of any kind.  The idea is to send a message to the music industry about the importance of black contributions to these artforms.  

  • Stay off social media- take a break (boy could we use one) just for today.  Use this time to reflect and reach out to a friend.  Maybe call a black friend and tell them you’re here for them and look forward to listening- they might be ready to talk now or maybe you’ll be laying the ground work for a future conversation.  Write a letter to a white friend sharing your journey and invite them to be actively anti-racist with you.  We recommend these more intimate types of communication while taking a break from social media.  We are looking forward to really connecting with others. 

  • Learn more: TheShowMustBePaused website has a great list of resources.  Or maybe investigate the contributions of black artists to American music- I did a quick google search and found these three articles.  Please share additional resources: 


If this action doesn’t feel like the right fit for you, find another action you can take, please just do something! There are additional resources at the bottom of this email.  We have also included a list of responses from day 1, feel free to borrow for those ideas as well.  If the use of “Black Lives Matter” above made you uncomfortable- perhaps investigate why that made you uncomfortable- research the origins of the movement, what it really means and why the “All Lives Matter” response is offensive. 


Peace,
Camerin and Beth


PS

While this outward blackout sends an important message, marinate on how you can support and value black artists tomorrow.  Today we are attending the private event of a dance artist named Brandy and we’d love for you to join us.  The event is entitled “Listen” tonight at 7pm which seems like the perfect way to end a blackout day. Event information here. We have also attached information about another anti-racist event today at noon. 


Day 1 Reflections: 

What people shared as their additions to the Invisible Knapsack list: 

  • Walk in my neighborhood and not get questioned if I belong here

  • I can go for a jog in a neighborhood during the day and not fear for my safety.

  • I can wear a mask to protect others from COVID-19 and not be concerned that others will be frightened of me in my mask. 

  • I can trust that the police will protect me and treat me fairly. 

  • When I say “I can’t breathe” I can expect someone to assist me and seek medical care on my behalf. 

  • When I walk down the street I can reasonably assume that no one will cross to the other side to avoid me for fear of me based on the color of my skin. 

  • I can participate in protests agains racist actions and expect to come home safely

  • I can wear a hooded sweatshirt without fearing for my life

  • I can play with water guns and other gun like toys and not fear for my life

  • I can reasonably expect not to see my culture misappropriated in fashion and halloween costumes. 

  • I can expect to sit in my own home and play video games or eat ice cream in safety. 

  • I can walk on the public, wooded path near my home that passes behind other homes and expect to be safe 


Other actions people took for their Day 1: 


Today, I took a freshly baked loaf of bread to the only neighbor I know of who is black. She cried.


Checked in with my black / brown employees today. Told them I was listening and available and would take my cues from them.


Attended “A Time of Lament” service held by the ED of the Absalom Jones Center for Racial Healing. 


I was able to speak in person to certain people. To read and seek information. To better listen. And to better understand. I'll continue to research and read. To listen and to use my voice. I will continue to hold people accountable for their actions and words. To hold myself accountable because I know I'm not perfect. 


I just sent a letter to the CLT Observer: A Call to racial engagement.


Read to a group of white children today from Virginia Hamilton’s “The People Could Fly” American Black Folk Tales. 

 

New Resources shared by participants: 

Charlotte Black Owned Bookstore: https://shelvesbookstore.com/

Be the Bridge (Christian Resource): https://bethebridge.com/ 



Day 1


Day 1: Today we are re-reading The Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh.  Reinvestigating white privilege in our own lives and adding to the list from the article.  We are using today to reflect and prepare for this 30 day commitment.  


Additionally I have put White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by DiAngelo, Robin J. on hold at the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library (which reopens to pick up on hold items today). 

 

Join me in this action or do something that better suits you and your needs today (resources below).  Then let’s talk about it.  How did it go?  How did you feel? What challenges did you face?  What did you learn? 


Want to read a different article or book, here are some good lists: 


If you choose to purchase a book, consider ordering it from a black owned bookstore.  Here are two: 

Turning Page Bookshop: 843-501-7223 (in South Carolina)

Black Dot Cultural Center: 404-519-8107 (in Atlanta) 



A great resource for actionable items (75 actionable items): https://medium.com/equality-includes-you/what-white-people-can-do-for-racial-justice-f2d18b0e0234

A great resource on how to talk and not to talk about these issues on social media and with black associates, friends and family: 

https://www.katykatikate.com/the-blog/2020/5/26/5-racist-anti-racism-responses-good-white-women-give-to-viral-posts?fbclid=IwAR2871sqMFz5ELJ-pFutVYSaIC06Alt6Gl8HIzueAJYGscDGhUWmo2A0Kj4 


Feel free to share with others. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1: Ongoing Practice

Day 27: Hate vs. Heritage

Day 25: To reform or reimagine