Day 19: Juneteenth!

Dear White Friends and Fam! 


Today is a day of celebration! On June 19th 1865 Union Army Major General Granger finally found his way to Galveston TX and announced that the enslaved Africans there had been freed by the Emancipation Proclamation two and a half years earlier on January 1st 1863.  Ever since, this date has been celebrated by some as an Independence Day for formerly enslaved Africans.  Today we will celebrate too as we strive for an America where our black and brown sisters and brothers are treated as equals.  


My (Camerin’s) Sorority Sister Ashley Sherman did a wonderful job explaining the history of the holiday and gave lots of wonderful tips on how to celebrate in her 25 minute Instagram Live Webinar.  We highly recommend it and hope you’ll give it a listen: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBeWAciAJEW/ 

Ashley is dynamic, thoughtful and informed, plus her side commentary is on point! 


Happy Juneteenth! Please share with us how you are celebrating, we can’t wait to hear from you.  


Peace,

Camerin and Beth


Review the previous 18 days on our blog: https://day1ripples.blogspot.com/ 


Term of the Day: Ashley Sherman recommends using the term “enslaved Africans” or “enslaved individuals” instead of “slaves” when discussing the historical narrative of slavery in the United States.  This language is person focused and reminds us of the humanity of the enslaved individuals.  


Upcoming Virtual Events: 


Upcoming Junteenth Events: 

Juneteenth Events

Six Nineteen 

Gantt Center Juneteenth

National Day of Healing June 19th: https://www.nationaldayofhealing.com/ 

Juneteenth ATLANTA:  Festival- Friday June 19th-Sunday June 21st 

Juneteenth Celebrations And Virtual Events This Weekend in Atlanta:  Including events at Oakland Cemetery,  Atlanta History, Museum, and Virtual Events as well as free live streaming of excellent movies.

Online Juneteenth Celebration:  Alicia Keys vs John Legend - June 19th 8p on Instagram

Juneteenth Events in Charlotte: https://www.charlotteonthecheap.com/juneteenth-festival-carolinas/
Call it out: Virtual Juneteenth Benefit Concert: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/call-it-out-tickets-109215460382

The 90-minute “And Still We Rise” webinar will offer a mix of live and recorded segments on such topics as “The Sacredness of Black Lives,” “Sacred Memory: People of African Descent,” “Our Oral Traditions,” “Our Sacred Rituals,” “Connections to the Cradle of Civilization,” “Resistance is in our DNA,” “Honor the Elders,” “How are the Children?” and “Public Faith and Political Action.”

Among its featured speakers are the Rev. Karen Georgia Thompson, UCC associate general minister; Nevada state Sen. Patricia Spearman; UCC storyteller Valerie Tutson; and several staff members from the UCC national and Conference settings. Video clips will include reflections by the poet Maya Angelou on the topic “I Am Human,” and excerpts from a sermon, “When is Someday,” by the Rev. Otis Moss III of Trinity UCC, Chicago.

Importantly, the webinar will be a call to four years of action, said the Rev. Velda Love, UCC minister for racial justice. Participants will be invited to be “part of the movement to protect black lives and create long-term sustainable movements towards liberation, equity, and healing, and calls to action for repair and reparations,” she said. “We are called to stand in solidarity with protestors, grieving parents, and young people across multiple cultures and ethnicities nationally and globally. There must be a radical shift to reimagine and reinterpret the Bible from the lived experiences of people of color, especially women of color.”

That work, Love said, will include efforts to eradicate “stand your ground” gun laws, deescalate violence by law-enforcement officers, and connect people with existing movements, such as the UCC’s Our Faith, Our Vote initiative and the United Nations’ International Decade for People of African Descent.

Perception of state as white misses African American contributions

In New Hampshire, with annual observances of Juneteenth just signed into state law in 2019, the UCC Conference’s Racial Justice Mission Group was making big plans in 2020. “In January, we envisioned an in-person celebration and were set to start event planning,” said Harriet Ward, a group member from Pilgrim UCC Brentwood-Kingston. Because of COVID-19, the team turned to Facebook as an alternative (click on the image above to visit it). Within a week of being launched, it already had 200 followers, she said.


Reading/ Watch/Listen List: 


Resources: 

 

Yesterday's Actions and Reflections from the group: 

  • my middle schooler plopped down next to me and said, “ I hate white people”. I didn’t know how to respond. In speaking with a patient black friend, I learned that woke white people often go though such a stage. 

  • monthly donation to the Marshall Project.  They are doing great work in investigative journalism related to justice issues. I have researched and recommend this organization.

  • Day 17: Embody- What a powerful act.  Learning to sign “Black Lives Matter”.  Yesterday, when I practiced while watching the video, I knew immediately that my awareness was being touched in a place that all the videos of protests, of police brutality against people of color, of discussions of white privileged, etc. hadn’t reached.  This morning when I greeted the Great Lake by signing “Black lives matter”, I was overwhelmed with hope.  Thanks for including that video is your post.

  • I registered for the three-session “Reimagining Policing in America” sponsored by the Absalom Jones Center for Racial Healing and attended the first one tonight

  • I think the focus on my eyes is continuing to change and picking up on a lot more microaggressions happening around me

  • I attended a virtual conversation, “Observing Juneteenth: The Long Arc of Justice,” sponsored by Candler School of Theology. I was inspired by a speaker who noted Dr. Benjamin Mays’ admonition to dream bold dreams. The speakers also reminded us that we must be patient and ready for the long haul that this work will require.

  • I’m continuing to read Ta Ne-hesi Coates…we received and started working through the Black History flashcards…I’m focusing on entertainment that includes POC…I’m thinking deeply about how changes in policing might look…I’m praying for open minds and open hearts.

  • I’ve been listening to the 1619 podcast, and started reading Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together In The Cafeteria. I’ve been more intentional about searching and appreciated art by black artists.

I had signed up for the Browncity site recently bc our school had mentioned it, and the school is starting a book club for parents. White Fragility is up first.  The girls and I have been reading and talking... I imagine I feel the same way that many white oriole feel; ashamed, motivated, sad, angry, inspired, overwhelmed. All of the things. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1: Ongoing Practice

Day 27: Hate vs. Heritage

Day 25: To reform or reimagine