Day 16: Plan to Party!

Dear Friends and Fam! 


It’s day 16, day 19 will be a holiday: Juneteenth.  Our task for today is to find out more about Juneteenth, and its significance in the black community.  We invite you to find a way to join in the celebration.  Then we plan to share what we’ve learned with a friend or loved one and invite them to join us in celebrating.  We’ve included a couple of ideas below and attached an invitation to volunteer at a Charlotte celebration as well as the flyer a Juneteenth March/Celebration (also in Charlotte).   We’ve also listed several Atlanta area events and virtual events. A quick google search will probably reveal some Juneteenth Celebrations near you.  


We can’t wait to hear about the celebrations you are creating and finding to celebrate Juneteenth. 

 

Peace,
Beth and Camerin


Juneteenth Events


Word of the Day: 

Cultural Appropriation: Theft of cultural elements for one’s own use, commodification, or profit — including symbols, art, language, customs, etc. — often without understanding, acknowledgement, or respect for its value in the original culture. Results from the assumption of a dominant (i.e. white) culture’s right to take other cultural elements.

SOURCE:

“Colors of Resistance Archive” 

Accessed June 28 2013.

 

Upcoming Virtual Events: 



Reading/ Watch/Listen List: 

Resources: 

 

Yesterday’s Actions and Reflections from the group: 

  • I watched the videos (“The First Time I Realized I Was Black”) that Camerin and Beth suggested.  I noticed the surprise and innocence of most stories...and realized that each person had to process this “first encounter” plus then likely extrapolate what this realization might mean for the rest of their lives.  I particularly appreciated   Elliot Jones’ story (from when he was 12 or 13) as he was introduced to the notion of black community via collegiate Greek life...and the sense of the black community’s deep kinship that he felt from that encounter.  I interpreted his story as the only one framed in a positive light, among the 21 stories shared.

  • Today I signed a petition to White American Theater to stop the unjust treatment and lack of leadership opportunities for black theater artists.  I wasn’t sure signing it was for me- like perhaps it was only for black people to sign?  But I decided I believe in equity, I can see the frustration of these Theater Makers and I will stand with them.  I felt uncomfortable but I did it.  http://chng.it/5WnG8jd75R 

  • I’ve been diligently doing something everyday since I joined on day 3.  It is exhausting to hold this in your heart all the time.  Makes me ever more aware of the challenges of living with so much knowledge and fear must have on my black friends.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1: Ongoing Practice

Day 27: Hate vs. Heritage

Day 25: To reform or reimagine