Day 12: Ripple 4, National Action

Dear Friends and Family! 

We are so excited to be on this journey together.  Today we offer a bit of action before embarking on a weekend of black art.  

Today we will be researching the House Resolution condemning police brutality, racial profiling, and the use of excessive force introduced by Reps. Ayanna Pressley, Ilhan Omar, Karen Bass and Barbara Lee.  Once researched and reflected upon we will decide if this is a resolution we can stand behind (we expect it will be).  Either way we will write our House Representatives and share our opinions.  We would like to offer that if there is something in the resolution that you don’t agree with you can write your Represenative and share those opinions and also what actions you think Congress should take to end the murder of unarmed black people at the hands of police, or contribute to the end of systemic racism in our society.  Here is a resource to make sharing your opinions with your reps. super simple (note: this may be a template for a supportive response.) 

Here is a link to several options for watching some of the Congressional Hearing on Police Brutality that was held Wednesday, including a moving plea by Philonious Floyd (George Floyd’s brother).  

Another action items: Research Breonna’s Law, which was passed by Louisville Metro Council in response to the brutal murder of Breonna Taylor recently.  Decide if a similar law is the right fit for your city and if so email your city council or county commissioners about it.  


Peace,

Camerin and Beth

Admin Note: 

We are writing this email together, in real space. Mom came to visit me today after 2 weeks of even more careful quarantining than before.  This is our first visit in 3 months.  We are planning to make some extra time for family this weekend.  So we will still send out the daily emails on Saturday and Sunday but will not include the Upcoming Events, Resources and Actions and Reflections.  Please keep emailing us over the weekend and we will check them all Sunday night, respond and then include all of the amazingness in our Monday email.  We can’t wait to hear from you! 


Quote of the Day: 

“The problem is that white people see racism as conscious hate, when racism is bigger than that. Racism is a complex system of social and political levers and pulleys set up generations ago to continue working on the behalf of whites at other people’s expense, whether whites know/like it or not. Racism is an insidious cultural disease. It is so insidious that it doesn’t care if you are a white person who likes black people; it’s still going to find a way to infect how you deal with people who don’t look like you. Yes, racism looks like hate, but hate is just one manifestation. Privilege is another. Access is another. Ignorance is another. Apathy is another. And so on. So while I agree with people who say no one is born racist, it remains a powerful system that we’re immediately born into. It’s like being born into air: you take it in as soon as you breathe. It’s not a cold that you can get over. There is no anti-racist certification class. It’s a set of socioeconomic traps and cultural values that are fired up every time we interact with the world. It is a thing you have to keep scooping out of the boat of your life to keep from drowning in it. I know it’s hard work, but it’s the price you pay for owning everything.” - Scott Woods


Upcoming Virtual Events: 

  • In case you missed Oprah’s Urgent Spotlight:  Where do we go from here?,  it includes the thoughts and ideas of prominent black politicians, educators and artists.   It is inspiring to take a listen.  Part One and Part Two

  • 6/14 6-8pm EDT: The Weapons of Whiteness Storytelling Event

  • Thurs 6/18, 5:00-6:30 pm. “Raising Anti-Racist Kids:  Raising the Next Generation of Changemakers.”  An AntiRacist Baby book launch: Ibram X. Kendi in conversation with Derecka Purnell on empowering the next generation of changemakers. Register here

  • 6/20 The Mass Poor People’s Assembly and Moral March on Washington (Virtual).  Info here. RSVP here.

Upcoming Live Events: 

 

Read, Listen, Watch List: 

Resources: 

 

 Actions and Reflections from the group’s response to yesterday’s activities 

  • Today I marched with Black Lives Matter from the mall between our county government center and City Hall. We heard from the friends of George Floyd, including Stephen Jackson, former NBA player, Nekima Levy Armstrong, an amazing activist and former director of the NAACP. We also heard from the family members of the many young African American men who’ve died in Minnesota. We listened to their stories and their pain.

We marched to the first police precinct to tell them that are no longer able to act like judge, jury and executioner. We, citizens, are revoking their power. 

It felt good to be out with a peaceful crowd that is keeping the pressure on.

My feet hurt and I’m tired but I felt a good feeling out there that this time people will demand and get change.


  • The work of being alert and speaking up is exhausting but must leverage this momentum. Finding the mix of where I can use my existing competencies (more organic, in my comfort zone) and growing myself (discomfort, exhausting)...thank you for providing many lanes for people to use...every step that is directionally correct and “sticks” makes and keeps our society better. 

  • I’ve decided to jump to the ripple that includes contacting National office-holders.  I’ve wrtiien my US Representative (Republican Pete Stauber who has already heard from me on many other issues).  I also signed up with the Sierra Club defeat Trump letter-writing campaign (10 letters per week) and have received my first assignment. 

  • There is a “preference for decorum” that white folks gotta get over; build a tougher skin, have courage, and become more resilient.

  • Having dinner with some black friends tonight- at a social distance. The  resources shared on how to talk with Black friends about police brutality and other issues that disproportionately affect people of color have already suggested ideas and I’ve only browsed them. 
    I’m not sure how I’ll make it clear that I’m interested in hearing his voice as a friend, not as a representative of all Black people, but I’m going to research and rehearse.

  • Today I finally finished White Fragility.  Then I texted a black friend and co-worker and asked her to please let me know when I do or say something racist, if she feels comfortable, and she responded that she would.

  •  I continue to read on the topic and watch interviews, the congressional hearings, etc.  I’m also planning to participate in the online events commemorating the 100th anniversary of the lynching in Duluth of Elias Clayton, Elmer Jackson and Isaac McGhie.

  • In the past couple of days, I’ve watched 13th, participated in a Litany of Reconciliation with my church, written a journal of my own experiences with racism, and taken on the task of purchasing/curating a children’s anti-racism library for our church.

  • I just donated to Fair Fight, Stacey Abrams organization to fight voter suppression.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1: Ongoing Practice

Day 27: Hate vs. Heritage

Day 25: To reform or reimagine